Varlaam monastery brotherhood got its name after its visitor and founder. The first one to settle it was this ascete-enachorite (the arriving one) – Varlaam in the 14th century.
The monastery was founded in 1517/18 by the brothers Theophanis (+1544) and Nektarios (+1550) Apsarades from Joanina.
The magnificent Catholicon was built in 1542 in Mount Athos style and is dedicated to All Saints. The main church was fresco painted by Frago Kateln from Tiva on the island of Crete in 1548. The small one-boat church dedicated to the Saint Three Hierarchs was built in 1627 and fresco painted in 1637.
Other buildings in the monastery include:
-the dining room (today a museum)
-the hearth (kitchen – one of the most beautiful and most elegant buildings of its kind) and